I'm in civilization for the weekend.
Really, it's not much like being in guatemala at all--I've spoken with pretty much ONLY tourists. I got here in the morning yesterday, walked around the market and the town a bit, went back to the hostel where I'm staying, met some people, hung out. I finally got all the way through "Finding Nemo"--in Spanish, with English subtitles.
I did learn, however, that you should never wear dusty leather shoes in the central square in Antigua. I made that mistake, and no fewer than 5 or 6 very persistant little boys kept telling me my shoes were dirty and I should let them clean them. Word to the wise...
Today should be interesting: I'm going to go up to the top of a hil overlooking the city, and then come watch a lent procesion. Apparently every sunday during lent there's a huge parade of people with a statue of Jesus, wearing robes and burning incense and so forth. That's this afternoon. Then later I'll head back to San Lucas to Cedescri.
So it's been a pretty good weekend, really laid back. But I'm not really sure how I feel about Antigua. Feels a bit too fake--a whole town just for tourists. I'm glad I'm not spending weeks here.
March 7, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment