November 21, 2007

Visit!

Well, it's been a while since I've posted, so I guess it's about time!

Jeff was down here to visit, which was quite a lot of fun. We hung out mostly in San Lorenzo, with side trips to Riobamba (where I had a conference on environmental issues and waste management...which wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped), Quito, and Otavalo, the famous crafts market. I had a dentist appointment November 5, which provided a perfect excuse to be in Quito to watch the Colts' oh-so-close loss to the Patriots.

We also built a nice-sized greenhouse together, using PVC pipes for framing:Starting to put the plastic on

"sewing" the top section on

OK, I really tried to get this turned properly before posting, but the computer hates me today. This is me in the doorway of the finished product! I'm hoping to grow green pepepers, more tomatoes (not enough space or light in my old little greenhouse) and maybe even eggplant.

Now I'm trying to finish up a grant proposal to help people pay for irrigation hoses, which is a pain, especially in Spanish, and without the internet resources I'd be able to count on in the States (like the McMaster Carr catalog, which I'm really missing right now). It's planting time (I'll bring some photos of plowing next time I post) so everyone's really busy getting corn planted. It's been rainier and cool--although the last couple days have been sunny and dry, which gets everyone worried.

I'm getting ready for more visitors--my family is coming down for Christmas, which should be great fun, although crowded for the days in my house. It'll be nice to have family here though.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone back there, and hopefully I'll post again before another 6 weeks go by!

No comments: