April 8, 2008

Just another day....

I haven't really written much about normal stuff lately, but I had a great morning so I thought I'd share. I went and visited 2 people who wanted me to help them figure out how much hosing they'd need to water their land. I'm currently doing a project to get hoses and etc. subsidized, so this is a reasonable request. The very Ecuadorian thing was that it took all morning.

I got to Mr. Arturo's house around 8, but he wasn't there, so his wife collected herself and went off to find him, coming back at around quarter till 9. Then I got a tour of their grenadilla (caviar fruit, for those who've seen it) orchard (garden? It's a viny thing). And the tank where they want to get water, and so forth and so on. And then they couldn't let me go without offering me something to eat, 2 hard-boiled eggs and coke, after I turned down the offer of hot milk.

So that was my second breakfast. Then I headed to Doña Teresita's house up the hill. Teresita is my very favorite cute little old lady, but I hadn't been to her house before. When I got there she was cleaning wheat (which had gotten some barley in it either because there was barley in the seed or in the thresher) to take to the mill. And she wanted to give me something to eat while I rested from climbing the hill (it is a pretty good hill, but if she can do it, and she's 70, I think I'm okay). So I got 2 more eggs, AND fried plantains, AND hot chocolate. And while I was eating she told me stories about the cuy project that Plan International had done there because nobody else would give them the land to build the cuy house, and other interesting things...and then I got the tour of the place, and headed home, and by then it was 11:30. A pretty good way to spend a morning, all things considered, and after 3 different breakfasts, I didn't need to make lunch.

No comments: